I'm here! Okay, I don't know if it deserves an exclamation mark just yet, but I'll take the leap. Of course, I stopped in with the Halters on the way to Philmont and played nerdy games, watched Star Trek, generally lazed about and baked in the Arizona sun. That's not all that different from what I usually do, except for the heat and the movie, but somehow doing it on a kind of vacation makes it fun and relaxing rather than the tedium of everyday life. Having good friends around helps a lot.
Star Trek was good, but it was good enough that it made me want to criticize it, and I'm not sure if it quite held up.
I arrived at Philmont at about eleven local time and moved into a tent which I later discoved was slated to be my own anyway. The next day was planting day - the elementary school kids from Cimarron came out and planted flowers around PTC. This time around I worked with the first graders; cute, but there was one that decided she was my boss all day.
Set up has begun. So far there're only a few group leaders but we've been compensating by hanging around with a few wranglers and rangers. I'm really hoping we can keep this up all summer, but our track record speaks otherwise; once work starts it gets hard to hang out with anyone who doesn't live two tents away.
I found some photos from last fall recently, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them up. Stay tuned.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment