Saturday, August 22, 2009

Thus ends week eleven

Here I am, sitting in the staff lounge on one of the computers. This is already unusual; the staff lounge is usually overflowing with people waiting to spend hours wasting time on Facebook. Steve's here next to me, but he doesn't really fit in with the usual crowd in here either. Granted, he spends a lot of time in the staff lounge, but he hides in the kitchen and works on his paintings. Tent repair, commisary and dining hall have all gone home and what's left of program leave soon.

What all has happened in the last week? I haven't got a lot of energy right now; it's been hot for the past couple of days, as if the summer is trying to extend itself by raw effort. Wednesday was a real triumph: on Tuesday Brian informed me that my bus tour for Wednesday was canceled and that I would be going on a backcountry tour instead. We began in the buffalo pasture, chasing down the buffalo and taking photos of them for half an hour. Then we made our way to Hunting Lodge and Cimarroncito, where my passengers briefly amused themselves by climbing in the rock gym. Finally we went to Clark's Fork and Pam got the Chase heart brand on her shoe (she also tried to get me the branding girl's number, but I managed to drag her away after minimum embarassment).

That afternoon, Pam, Cameron, Kim and I went out to the waterfalls. Those that have been following closely know that I've already been there once this season, but it was worth another trip. For one thing, the water was warmer, and for another, I had a waterproof camera this time around, meaning bolder pictures of us freezing our tails off. I very skillfully climbed on the rocks all the way around the tiny lake at the top to let Cameron take a picture of the three of us on the other side, then slipped into the water. A good time was had by all.

Closing program this week was a composite of all of the best skits from the summer: the tent city infomercial, Falling Rock, the scout singers, the banana skit. It felt like a good way to close things out, particularly since it took the last shreds of my energy to play the farmer immediately after playing the interpreter. Summer's sun is fading into the dusk and sunset of Fall. It's as apt a metaphore as I am up to for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment