Thursday, February 4, 2010

Words, words, words

I suppose I've always had a little trouble with February. No, it's not the whole Valentine's day thing, although I'm sure that helped back in high school. What I really think it is is that summertime is really the weekend of the year- it's the fun time that you always look forward to. Alright, so my life is a little backward, with the bulk of work being done in the summertime, but during the rest of the time most of my activities take place on the weekend so it all works out. The big problem with this is that February lands pretty solidly on Wednesday. You're about as far from the good parts of the year as you can possibly get. It's also the hardest part of the year to motivate yourself to do anything.

So what have I been doing lately? Writing mostly. Normally I'm pretty hesitant to announce that; my theory on writers is that a screenwriter makes movies, an author makes books and a writer makes very little of anything. I'm sure I've told most of my friends that I've written a couple of books, but they didn't get published, and the one that did shouldn't have.

Something's changing lately, though. I'm starting to make money at it. Okay, I don't care a lot about money; I tend to live simply, and what I make tends to go into the bank and then just stay there. But when you make money, that means that you have a job, and I live to work. I guess it's a good thing that I don't need to make money, because I'm not making much of it. I've sold three short stories for a grand total of $75. It's a start.

Now my big problem is that February depresses me, and when I'm depressed, I can't write. Ain't life grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment