Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Pindo Problem

It's likely been years since I've used this public journal system, and for those that were looking for an insight into my life I've got bad news: this isn't about me. In my backyard we have a palm tree of the genus Butia Capitata, also known as the Pindo palm, the jelly palm and the wine palm. It has an edible fruit that falls off in the hundreds from late October through November. I spent hours searching the internet for something to do with them all and came back with only one thing: jelly. Don't get me wrong, the jelly is good, but there are ten gallons of juice in my freezer and I don't see myself eating quite that much. Most sites said that you could make wine or pie out of it, but none gave a recipe for either (which is no longer true; I found a wine recipe at http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/5447-pindo-palm-jelly-palm-recipe/). So I did what I always do under these circumstances: I came up with a recipe of my own.

Pindo Pie Recipe

2 C Pindo Juice
3 1/2 T Corn Starch
1/2 C Granulated Sugar
1 t Cinnamon
1/2 t Cloves
1/2 t Nutmeg
2 Eggs
1 9" pie crust

Put all ingredients except the last two in a saucepan. Cook uncovered over medium heat until it begins to thicken, then for one additional minute. Beat eggs in a mixing bowl; add cooked ingredients and mix quickly. Pour into pie crust and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Refrigerate before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment